Beginner Tips!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beginner Tips!

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi Everyone

While the causes and types of Gastritis vary significantly, there are some things that we can do to become "students" of our bodies. These below steps are vital to overcoming any long term, or even short term, forms of gastritis.

1) Begin a Food Journal
- This one is the key. Because everyone's body responds differently based on their individual causes and conditions, it's important to keep a personal record of things that bother you and things that do not. I have mine on a google doc, and over the last 3 years I have written over 20 pages worth of information. Just make a dated entry anytime anything notable happens. This way, over time you will begin to see patterns and common trends that will help you identify good and bad foods, as well as any forward or backward progress.

2) Get Lots of Sleep
- The stomach regenerates its mucosa and lining constantly, but it ramps up regeneration when we are resting. Be sure to get at least 8 hours ASLEEP for maximum healing. I have changed around my schedule to make sure I have about 9 hours in bed, which corresponds to about 8.2 hours asleep. It has made a dramatic difference in my healing. If you can't make 8 hours asleep, then begin adding as much time as you can and working towards that number. Naps do not count - it needs to be a continuous sleep session (bathroom breaks and drinks are fine) to maximize your sleep cycles.

3) Exercise Lightly, No Endurance Events
- Exercise increases the body's metabolism and repair abilities, among numerous other health benefits. But there is a finite amount of energy in your body each day. If you have a strenuous workout, there is less energy left for stomach recovery and healing. So keep it light, and minimize heavy running and endurance events. A light-moderate strength training routine for about 30-60 mins, twice a week, seems an ideal balance to take advantage of exercise's body boosts, without dramatically reducing energy or negatively affecting healing.

4) Watch the Psychological Effects
- Be careful, as you may notice yourself much more irritable or experiencing more anxiety than usual. Gastritis can basically simulate that nervous, anxious "butterflies in stomach" feeling which can make you think you are anxious or nervous, when you actually aren't. But, the feeling will trick your mind, and you will begin to experience real anxiety as a result. It's a terrible feedback loop. Just be aware, so you can keep it in check as best as you can.

5) Begin with my "Good List" and "Blacklist" for foods, then customize based on your personal conditions and food journal.
- Please see the lists below. As time goes on, and you find what bothers you and is good for you - you should customize this list. Keep a copy of it in your food journal.

THE GOODLIST:
pita chips
white rice
pasta with olive oil
baked potatoes
eggs
nuts
peanut butter
pretzels
milk
fish (lean fish like flounder, salmon, snapper, or tilapia)
beef
yuca / casava (must cook VERY well to get rid of toxins)
ground turkey
canola oil ( for cooking, in place of butter/margarine)
bananas
bread (safest kinds have less fiber (white bread), and with less than 2% yeast content (see ingredients section on bag, if high on list, then high amount relative to other ingredients))

THE BLACKLIST:
Caffeine
Theanine
cough drops
strong mints
tomato sauce
ketchup
alcohol
cajun seasoning
hot sauce
hummus
all chocolate, but especially dark chocolate
Brown Rice (possibly too much fiber)
Baked Beans (ones with tomato in sauce
Stress
mustard
Vinegar
fake bagged popcorn
pickles
Hydrogen Peroxide from Crest Supreme WhiteStrips
Very Fatty and Greasy Meats
green peppers
greasy alfredo or vodka sauce
Literally any large super fatty meal
Sourdough pretzels (the yeast has an effect)
Country Crock Buttery spread
Apple juice
honey coated peanuts (honey is slightly reactive when your digestion is messed up)

I hope this helps!
Kevin

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"

Medical Disclaimer: While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, no one on this site is representing themselves as a medical professional. Always consult with a medical professional for assistance before modifying their orders or making changes to your lifestyle/health regimen.

Admin
Admin

https://livingwithgastritis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum