Amazon Discussion: Exercise, Other Supplements, and Heart Rate

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amazon Discussion: Exercise, Other Supplements, and Heart Rate

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:32 am

(This discussion is copy and pasted from the original discussion in the comment section of Amazon's PepZin GI)

Chuck S. says:
I greatly appreciate your continued commitment to this thread. I'm sure you have grown tired of answering so many questions but this thread has been the most informative information I have found. I believe you and I had the same irritant and probably a similar severity of gastritis. A few more questions for you:
---Did you notice a flare up when exercising? Mine seems to act up quite severely if I do too much strenuous exercise.
---Did you try other supplements designed to stimulate mucus lining such as DGL or Slippery Elm? 
---Did you notice a spike in your heart rate or blood pressure when the flareups occurred? any problems from breathing due to acid scarring the esophogus?

Admin
Admin

https://livingwithgastritis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Amazon Discussion: Exercise, Other Supplements, and Heart Rate

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:47 am

Hi Chuck

Thanks for being patient about the slow response, you are the first Amazon question that I am answering on the newly built forum!

1) For me, exercising has always been a fairly beneficial thing for my gastritis. When your body is moving around, your stomach literally gets a workout too - flexing, bending, and mixing. But in my earlier days when my gastritis was bad - I tended to get bloated and burp a lot when I was working out. This has gone away over time, and now I can say that exercising (I prefer circuit-type weight training for strength and cardio) is something that helps my stomach. I would ask, what types of exercise are you doing? Running is generally tough on the stomach, especially long distance running or endurance training of any kind.

2) Yes! I tried both of those actually. For me, they both had a decent effect. The DGL I only took for a few weeks, and it seemed to help a bit. But I grew concerned over taking it (as it is a bit stronger chemical than most remedies) and decided to discontinue it. Slippery Elm worked well at soothing an irritated stomach, but I found that it affected my normal digestion if I had it too much. For me, the "less is more" route was great - so I just stuck with Pepzin GI. It worked better than those other two, and had many scientific studies and white papers behind it.

3) Yep. Absolutely. Your stomach is actually loaded with nerves, and so gastritis will DEFINITELY make you irritable, depressed, or anxious. On my worst days, gastritis would make me TERRIBLY anxious. To the point where my normally 58 bpm resting heart rate would spike to over 120 just sitting still. The stress is a huge physical and psychological stressor. Even now, I have to be aware that I am more likely to react poorly at work when my stomach has been bothering me. More than one "less-than-polite" email or reaction has been caused by irritability on a flare, so I try to be aware of that possibility.

Breathing problems? Could you elaborate a bit more? During certain types of flares, I will develop a sore throat - which is indicative of some kind of acid reflux from the flare. This happens rarely though, and only lasts a day or two. It was more frequent during my early gastritis days. 

Kevin

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"

Medical Disclaimer: While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, no one on this site is representing themselves as a medical professional. Always consult with a medical professional for assistance before modifying their orders or making changes to your lifestyle/health regimen.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChuckS on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:16 pm

1) I think the problems from exercise is related to gas/belching which is kind of trapped and causing discomfort. I sip a few ounces of ginger ale to help burp after.

2) Im down to 1 Pepzin GI every other day and 75 mg Zantac every other day. Fortunately, my stomach is healing quite well but I still need to take it easy for a few more months.

3) I had to check into the ER last week due to worries over elevated heart. The doctor did not find any concerns with my heart and advised me to go off supplements for awhile. On my followup visit, I discussed with another doctor that I believe my heart issues were related to anxiety, which could be set off by not being able to differentiate chest pain from gastritis/ reflux and an underlying issue. I also visited a chiropractor due to pain in neck/shoulders which may have contributed to anxiety/ heart rate. After a year sleeping on a mountain of pillows, I think it took a toll on my neck.

To anybody else reading this, while the Zinc Carnosine and DGL did wonders for me, I believe the best piece of advice is to eat small meals with safe foods that Kevin listed in another thread. I typically eat poached eggs for breakfast with 1 slice whole wheat toast. Lunch is usually elbow macaroni with mixed veggies and small amounts of cubed ham. I also ate apple slices with honey and peanut butter twice a day which is my "safe meal" that fills me up and causes no digestion issues. Try not to eat more than 500 calories at a time, this is ideal for minimizing symptoms that torment all of us that suffer from gastritis.

ChuckS

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:53 pm

Hi Chuck

1) Yea, that totally could be on it. I'm glad the ginger ale works for you, I dont think I've ever tried it.

2) Great ! Good to hear you are tapering it down. It just takes so much time for the stomach lining to heal, it's been really surprising for me personally. Hopefully for you it is a little quicker.

3) Oh wow, I'm sorry. I hope you're feeling better. It's good you took the cautious route. It is likely definitely related to the anxiety caused by gastritis/GERD. I am used to the feelings by now, but I vividly remember almost going to the hospital myself when I was in extreme pain and experienced an anxiety attack about it. Be sure to get some support from friends, family, or a church group - that may help with the anxiety.

And I agree ! Frequent, small meals are an excellent thing. I myself eat 4 small meals a day. When you overeat, your body rushes to produce extra acid to digest all of the food - which in turn hurts a healing and sensitive stomach.

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"

Medical Disclaimer: While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, no one on this site is representing themselves as a medical professional. Always consult with a medical professional for assistance before modifying their orders or making changes to your lifestyle/health regimen.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChuckS on Thu May 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Quick followup---

I visited a gastroenterologist today as my flareups returned and I have noticed a more prominent pain in my upper stomach. After she pressed on various parts of my belly, there was a sharp pain right where it connects to my esophagus. She seems to think it may be an ulcer and I am scheduled for an endoscopy in 30 days. My heartburn had went away and I had hoped that this meant I was on the road to healing but I am starting to believe it may be H Pylori rather than the NSAIDs which are causing this. It would likely explain why the pain goes away for a few weeks only to return. Unfortunately, she also insisted on Protonix and I begrudgingly agreed if the underlying problem is indeed an ulcer. I plan on using them for only 6 weeks and hope that doesn't trigger any rebound problems at the end. It still seems short term enough not to cause any issues. I will keep the board updated on my progress.

ChuckS

Back to top Go down

Post by ChuckS on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:19 pm

Well I had an endoscopy and biopsy taken last week. They found localized erosive gastritis in the lower part of my stomach but no H Pylori. Doesnt leave me with many options as they recommend to keep up PPIs which dont seem to do much and give me terrible side effects. I am currently on a regimen of Slippery Elm/Marshmallow Root, Zinc carnosine and Gaviscon Advance. I am hoping the effort to coat my stomach lining ultimately heals my problem but am quite discouraged.

ChuckS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum