Amazon Discussion: Food Journals and Food Types

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amazon Discussion: Food Journals and Food Types

Post by Admin on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:49 am

(This discussion is copy and pasted from the original discussion in the comment section of Amazon's PepZin GI)

Gwynnie asked:
Hi Kevin

How about an update? What kind of diet are you on? Thank you so much.

Kevin answered:
Hello

Do you have a question? I won't be posting a general health update; that's really not appropriate. I can say that my stomach is healing well, and I'm up to taking 5 of these a day, they really help. If you read the above post, I say that I expect it to take 8 months to heal. It's been 2 months since that post, and I'm about where I would expect. Still healing lol. This is still a fantastic product.

My diet is very specific to what I have. I have chronic gastritis brought on my a period of low sleep, caffeine, alcohol, and high stress (engineering degree haha) that is slow to heal. I stay away from acidic foods, lower my fried food intake a bit, and eat lots of easily digestible starches and carbs, and my stomach is happy.

If you can be more specific with your questions or you condition I can provide more relevant information.

Gwynnie says:
Hi Kevin,

Yes, the update I was looking for was if your stomach was healing well, and if you thought the Pepzin was still working. I was also asking about your diet because my husband was wanting to know what else you were doing. I bought the supplement for him, not me. Anyway, he doesn't want to take anything without doing an appropriate diet, and that is what I was curious about. Are you completely off caffeine and alcohol? Thanks for all your help!

Kevin says:
Hi again

Gotcha, no problem. Yes, I do feel like it's working. Sleep is a HUGE factor in cell regeneration (which a healing stomach lining is trying to do) and I don't get enough for unrelated reasons so I think that is slowing my recovery. I'm getting better and it's taking longer than I thought, but the Pepzin GI is definitely helping significantly. I've been ordering a bottle or two a month since February.

So step one would be to make a food journal. I have mine on a google doc, and I list foods that really bother me and foods that are okay. Occasionally I'll make a dated entry when something noteworthy happens. After doing this awhile you can start to see what is/isn't bothering him. If he has gastritis, what irritates one person could be super different from another. But in general, this is a quick list of what bothers me the most: Alcohol, caffeine, tomatoes, hummus, heavy vinegar, mustard, green peppers, raw onions, menthol (cough drops), and popcorn. Any foods made with those or that have those involved somehow usually hurt my stomach. Occasionally very fatty foods, like fried onion rings, may hurt it. Anything acidic, fatty, or fiber/rough can cause irritation. Every person is different though. If the food is acidic and it bothers him, he will feel the discomfort 5-15 minutes after eating it (the minute it touches the lining it will begin to irritate). If it is a fat or fiber irritant, he will notice it about 30-60 minutes later (as your stomach struggles to digest it, it will ferment and/or dig into stomach lining as it's tossed around in your recently emptied stomach). This is a good way to see what was bothering him.

A few things good to eat that are universally gentle on the stomach: pasta with a canola oil/salt/pepper, white rice, baked potatoes, peanut butter, eggs, pretzels, nuts. These are my go to's after I ate something bad the night after and I'm in pain the next day.

Yes, I'm completely off alcohol and caffeine. My gastro advised me to try some alcohol again, but I'll prob wait a bit longer.

I'm a foodie as well, me and my girlfriend eat out at restaurants once or twice a week in DC. You can still have awesome food. Spicy food is not always off limits, sometimes some heavy spice or pepper may not be an issue. I always make sure to ask the waiter whats good that doesn't have tomatoes, and 8/10 times the dish is absolutely fine.

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"

Medical Disclaimer: While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, no one on this site is representing themselves as a medical professional. Always consult with a medical professional for assistance before modifying their orders or making changes to your lifestyle/health regimen.

Admin
Admin

https://livingwithgastritis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum