Amazon Discussion: Gastroenterologists and Heavy PPI Use

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amazon Discussion: Gastroenterologists and Heavy PPI Use

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:51 am

(This discussion is copy and pasted from the original discussion in the comment section of Amazon's PepZin GI)

Elaine K. says:
Kevin: Interesting reading your experience with this supplement. I just purchased this supplement and from all the glowing comments about it I am excited to try it. I was diagnosed with reactive gastropathy which I guess is from NSAIDs I'd been taking i.e. aspirin. I am 64 and was put on a PPI which I think is doing more harm than good and want to get off of it. I couldn't believe this was the only way to cure a stomach lining but that is what gastro guys tell you. Like you I am an avid reader/researcher on the internet and while you have to pick out the garbage from the good stuff it helps you not feel so alone in this. Wish me luck, I'm going to start this next week. Bless You

Kevin says:
Hi Elaine

Thanks for the comments. As part of certain life style changes that includes healthy eating habits and a removal or irritant foods or drugs (where applicable) - it really does help :-) Pepzin GI is awesome, but it is no silver bullet though. So it's important to attack the issue on multiple fronts.

Yes, the PPIs gave me weird skin issues too. I think (and studies back this up) that it is too effective at shutting off the acid pumps - and can cause nutrient absorption issues. I think in prior comments I outlined how I transitioned from PPIs to H2 blockers, and then finally to nothing. I would still recommend that process, as the reduction of acid is good for a healing stomach. We just don't want the TOTAL acid reduction efficacy of the PPIs and their multitude of side effects, so H2s are a more gentle way to go if possible.

Yes, when it comes to gastroenterologists - they really are in the dark about some things. But as time goes on, I'm beginning to appreciate their efforts - even if they are not effective haha. Stomach problems are NOTORIOUSLY hard to diagnose; the triggers, the pain locations, and the time of day - there's just so much variability. I equate it traffic woes around Washington DC or LA. You may be in standstill traffic, but it's hard to tell what is causing it. And likewise if you go on a side road that's usually free and you hit more traffic, you don't know if the issue is a hazard/accident on the side road OR if the side road is being affected by the accident on the main road !! haha. There's just too many interconnected issues going on, and no easy way to see it all. 

So what do they do ? They prescribe a PPI, because that effectively treats the symptoms of a HUGE range of issues and allows the stomach time to heal (fixing probably 75% of issues a doctor like that sees). But people with more complex or serious issues of course don't benefit from that type of catch-all treatment, and the PPIs may make things work if we take them too long; so we get frustrated. I try not to fault the gastros too much anymore, I think they are just outmatched by the huge range of stomach ailments so they try and use drugs that hit the percentages.

Awesome ! And it's true. It's funny because my family is a family of doctors, but here I am finding success with alternative methods. A doctor should always be the first choice, but for complex issues that you have not found relief after following the doctor's orders, the internet is a godsend. So much information at your fingertips; but it can heal you or it can kill you. So it's SOOOOOO important to practice good information filtering when you go online.

Reactive Gastropathy. I had to google that, I haven't heard of that before. After reading about it, it seems very likely that I could have that. I usually tell people I have "an ulcer" in casual discussions when it comes up, and then I move to "technically it's chronic stomach inflammation called chronic gastritis" if they ask for more info. Perhaps Reactive Gastropathy may be more accurate. Without a biopsy I probably wouldn't know for sure.

Eh, Luck implies chance and randomness. Personally I've been trying to break the habit of saying good luck because I think everything good comes from the Lord (James 1:17). So I'd be cheating you by wishing you something lesser. I wish you many blessings Elaine :-)

Elaine K. says:
Thanks for the blessings. I too believe that everything is in God's plan. This is a hard road and you have to patient and keep with your diet. I've been doing that faithfully and with these supplements hopefully I'll be on a better road. Thanks again.

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"

Medical Disclaimer: While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, no one on this site is representing themselves as a medical professional. Always consult with a medical professional for assistance before modifying their orders or making changes to your lifestyle/health regimen.

Admin
Admin

https://livingwithgastritis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum