Amazon Discussion: Apple Cider Vinegar

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amazon Discussion: Apple Cider Vinegar

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:48 am

(This discussion is copy and pasted from the original discussion in the comment section of Amazon's PepZin GI)

Behnam B. says:
Thank you for your great review. I have had acid reflux for 1.5 years now and it causes me to cough non stop. I have been on PPI for a long time and it helped me to reduce acid, but it seems after a while its not working. when I stopped taking it I didn't see a difference. I got my endoscopy done and it seems I have inflammation in lining of my stomach. Do you think this product will help with reducing the inflammation? 
The other thing is that I have been taking apple cider vinegar when my cough doesnt stop, and it helps a lot, but Im not sure if its making my inflammation worse. By any chance do you know anything about that?

Kevin says:
Hi Behnam

I'm sorry for your acid reflux troubles. Yes, this product will help greatly. I have stimulates-induced chronic gastritis - gastritis is literally defined as "stomach inflammation". Along with a healthy diet and rest, this product would be a good choice to help ease pain and promote healing.

YES. Please, stop taking the apple cider vinegar. It is only making it worse. There is a lot of pseudoscience online about apple cider vinegar - promises that it can cure many ills. And I'm sure it can, I actually uses it diluted as a face wash for a couple years and it worked well.

But at the end of the day, ACV is a a vinegar - a strong acid. There are various causes for Acid Reflux, and if LOW stomach acid is causing yours, than ACV could in theory help. But, that is an uncommon cause of Acid Reflux and doubtful it is your issue. However, ACV use in people with a sensitive or overly acid stomach will actually CAUSE gastritis (inflammation). I know every "naturopathy" website and ACV website will say otherwise, but they're all wrong haha. Pseudoscience is a dangerous thing, which is why you should always take alternative medicine and naturopathy with a grain of salt.

Think about it. Vinegar has a pH of like 2-3, it is very acidic. Pour some on your hand or hold some in your mouth for a few seconds (have water and sink ready) and watch your hand/mouth get red and irritated - this is what is happening in your stomach with its sensitive tissues.

My unprofessional recommendation (not a doctor, consult yours with this new information if you have concerns) is to STOP the ACV immediately - it will not help with your acid reflux and will only make your gastritis worse. When you're coughing, try a tall glass of water instead. And try these Pepsin GI pills. If you're not feeling any difference in a week or so, I would consult with your doctor about other acid reducing drugs. I never liked PPIs (they gave me bad reactions, and are harmful long term) so I preferred H2 blockers (like Zantac, my fave). If you need more acid suppression, ask your doc if one of these is right for you.

Also, it is worth noting that acid reflux and gastritis are related but different. Pepsin GI will help with the symptoms of, and overtime can cure, gastritis. Pepsin GI may help help with the symptoms of acid reflux, but will likely NOT cure it. Only diet changes, medication, or in extreme cases surgery will cure acid reflux.

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"

Medical Disclaimer: While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, no one on this site is representing themselves as a medical professional. Always consult with a medical professional for assistance before modifying their orders or making changes to your lifestyle/health regimen.

Admin
Admin

https://livingwithgastritis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum