Amazon Discussion: Effects of Different Types of Fiber, Vitamins

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amazon Discussion: Effects of Different Types of Fiber, Vitamins

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:40 am

(This discussion is copy and pasted from the original discussion in the comment section of Amazon's PepZin GI)

Holly says:
These are the most informative comments I've read on the internet. You should make blog of some sort. I'm definitely going to try this. I've gastritis caused by iron supplements and vitamin C

High fiber foods flare me up even moreso than acid but people online always seem to focus more on the acid for whatever reason

Kevin says:
Hi Holly

I appreciate the kind words. I have managed to accumulate a tremendous amount of information as I dealt with this over the last 3 years. I don't think I'd have the time to set up a blog, but thanks for the idea. Yea, it's funny - most of the gastritis damage I've seen online is self-inflected through the use of supplements. I was a big supplement and vitamin junky (whey protein, vitamins, salt pills, caffiene, creatine, etc..) which eventually led me to caffeine pills as another performance enhancer.

I've since adopted the policy of ZERO supplements (unless medically prescribed by a doctor), because unless I am a professional athlete or I have a specific condition, there's no need. The diets in most industrialized countries is AWESOME; there aren't any serious nutrient deficiencies. Taking a vitamin or other performance booster is really unnecessary for most people. My policy now is that if I want more of a vitamin, nutrient, or protein... it MUST come from food. This policy is great, because it's self-protecting and self-limiting. For example, let's say you want more iron in your diet. If you grab an iron pill, the concentrated form of iron and the large amount of it can easily cause digestive issues and overdose concerns. With my policy, if you want more iron, you must get it from real food (like beans). And in doing this, it's much safer and I think more effective. You will get tired of beans LONG before you overdose on iron haha, you will be getting smaller, manageable doses of iron, and lastly you will be getting iron ALONG WITH a whole other body of nutrients. I've come to the conclusion that most nutrients, when extracted and taken in isolation; are more problematic and less effective than when we get them along with other calories, fats, and nutrients. Just some food for thought :-)

Yes, that happens with me too occasionally (with the fiber). I think it's because acidic foods are always the more obvious culprits. But for me, some fibery foods actually HELP my stomach. For example, having a bowl of quick boil/soaked chickpeas with oil/salt/pepper/ has become a favorite snack of mine. If I have it too often, I have problems haha, but it actually seems to mitigate any stomach issues I'm experiencing at the time.

It's interesting to note this too - the populations that eat the most fiber unanimously have lower instances of digestive issues and cancers. Across the board, I can provide reading if you like. But for someone that doesn't have much fiber in their diet (like me) you need to be careful with introducing more. You want to introduce fiber SLOWLY, because our bodies need time to adjust to all of it. Also, you need the right KIND of fiber for a gastritis stomach.

There are two kinds of fiber - soluble and insoluble. For soluble, think a gel. For insolube, think hard and scratchy. The hard and scratchy insoluble fiber is TERRIBLE for a stomach with gastritis. Some of the worst pain I've experienced with my gastritis was after having popcorn - very high in insoluble fiber.

For me, soluble fiber has been GREAT for my stomach. It eases pain and cleans me out well. I get it mostly from lots of bananas and beans. It can still cause D if you have too much, but it has never given me gastritis symptoms.

Holly says:
I took iron combined with vitamin c and lysine (helps absorption) ON AN EMPTY STOMACH to increase my iron stores (ferritin)to help with hair loss. And it actually did increase my ferritin temporarily. Now I can't tolerate even the tiniest iron pill. There's actually been a few studies on PubMed about how iron pills can cause erosive gastritis and deposits in the stomach...eek! If I really I wanted to pursue it, I could try to get iron infusions but now I'm completely focused on gastritis, LOL

I've always had absorption issues (long story but it's bad genetics) so I take liquid magnesium, sublingual B12 and sublingual vitamin D. I agree with your post about keeping everything as calm as possible so all the tissues try to repair themselves. I need to go without a flare up as long as possible. Slippery elm has definitely helped.

I will look into soluble fiber. 

I have insulin resistance so a gastritis diet is more difficult than it should be

I don't know why but for some reason I thought caffeine pills we're safer on your stomach than coffee. So it's good you're bringing that to people's attention.

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"

Medical Disclaimer: While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, no one on this site is representing themselves as a medical professional. Always consult with a medical professional for assistance before modifying their orders or making changes to your lifestyle/health regimen.

Admin
Admin

https://livingwithgastritis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum