Amazon Discussion: Weaning off PPIs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amazon Discussion: Weaning off PPIs

Post by Admin on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:46 am

(This discussion is copy and pasted from the original discussion in the comment section of Amazon's PepZin GI)

New Mom asked:
Can you take this long term? Did you wean off your PPI, if so, how so? Thank you!

Kevin answered:
Hello and yes ! I did and you will too Very Happy.

First, PPIs reduce stomach acid, but they do it way too effectively so you want to use something else if you need a reduction in stomach acid. H2 Blockers reduce stomach acid, but through a different mechanism that is much safer than a PPI. They're also a little less strong.

Here's what I would recommend : Begin taking a Pepzin GI pill three times a day, preferably one with every meal. And then begin to replace your PPI with an H2 blocker, like Zantac. You can buy generic Zantac from Target pretty cheap.

I don't know what ur dose is of PPI, but begin to wean off it over a period of two weeks. Try to either lower the dose by cutting the pill, or increasing the interval between doses. Increasing the interval is best since most PPIs are coated with a delayed release coating u don't want to rupture. As you wean off, you will get discomfort, and that's where the Zantac comes in.

You can take Zantac (generic ranitidine) as needed, up to 150mg every 12 hours. These pills are okay to cut to modify dosage, and they provide immediate relief. The goal is to get off the PPI and onto a regular Zantac regimen within a month.

From there you can slowly wean off the safer Zantac as your body allows. This is where I'm at. I gave myself severe gastritis from abusing caffeine pills in college, and I've gotten myself down to 75mg every 12 hours and I feel good.

And yes u can take the Pepzin GI indefinitely, I've researched it heavily and it's incredibly safe. It's a supplement that promotes the health of your stomach lining. I hurt my stomach over the course of 8 months, and so I expect it to take about the same time to heal itself.

It's worth noting that I took PPIs for gastritis, not acid reflux. They are similar, but not the same. Regardless of what you have, the above is the best way to taper off PPIs as I got it from looking through many acid reflux forums.

I hope that helps, Please post again here and I'll answer all the questions you have. I'll pray that your stomach heals fast New Mom !

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"

Medical Disclaimer: While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, no one on this site is representing themselves as a medical professional. Always consult with a medical professional for assistance before modifying their orders or making changes to your lifestyle/health regimen.

Admin
Admin

https://livingwithgastritis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum