Paging Kevin

Go down

Paging Kevin

Post by sushine on Mon May 01, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi Kevin. Are you still on this site? Do you still have gastritis? I was originally diagnosed in fall of 2014 and just had an endoscopy that showed I might still have a little. I was on a PPI for over a year, ate very carefully, take Pepzin GI and don't know why I'm not fully healed. No bad pain like I used to have though. Thanks for your input.

sushine

Back to top Go down

Re: Paging Kevin

Post by ChuckS on Wed May 03, 2017 8:42 pm

Not to hijack your thread but I figured this place could use as much discussion as possible to encourage others to participate. I have been dealing with gastritis for over a year now. I was fortunate enough to eliminate most of the accompanying heartburn but have noticed of late greater pains with my upper stomach and chronic belching. I believe some of us have more chronic issues than standard cases that are healed in a few weeks or months. I think the best thing you can do is double down on your treatment, focusing primarily on a strict diet, whatever supplements seem to help you and continued followups with your doctor. The PPI's may be loosing their efficacy, perhaps try switching to ranitidine or a different PPI.

ChuckS

Back to top Go down

Post by sushine on Wed May 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks Chucks. I won't take PPIs or H2s ever again as the side effects are too horrific for me and getting off them is the most painful thing I've ever experienced, but I will keep up with the supplements and strict diet. Smile

sushine

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi All

Chuck - Yes, not a hijack at all. Discussion is great.

Sushine - I guess the paging didn't work ;-) . Sorry about that, I'm not sure why I didn't get a notification. I will check my settings.

Yes - I still have gastritis but am seeing improvement through small lifestyle changes (careful diet, detailed food diary, lots of sleep, smaller meals, avoiding trigger foods). But - my gastritis is still present and my 3rd gastroenterologist basically booted me out of his practice with "I have run every test I could, it must be something else. Try an allergist or nutritionist".

And so began that adventure. My allergist appointment turned up positive tests for several foods I ate almost daily. It turns out not every allergy is severe, or even obvious - sometimes a reaction can manifest itself in subtle ways (like gastritis). Im in the process of monitoring my diet, removing those positive tested foods (soy and peanut are everywhere !!! lol), and looking for results.

There are a couple ways it seems a food allergy could cause gastritis symptoms - but ultimately, the result could be an inflamed stomach lining that would cause you to react to foods you don't normally react to. The science on this is emerging, and often fuzzy at times - with this idea often being peddled by folks in the "alternative medicine" fields. However, like most things hijacked by pseudo-science, there appears to be some truth behind it. I strongly recommend reaching out to an allergist, and potentially a nutritionist, if a gastroenterologist is unable to find the root cause.

This study looked at one example of a unique form of gastritis believed to be caused by food allergies https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140923121612.htm . It is often treated by elimination diets (cutting out food groups, and looking for elimination of symptoms, then adding food groups back in carefully and slowly, one at a time, until a problem food(s) is identified). While you likely don't have full blown Eosinophilic Gastritis, the method is still a solid one for troubleshooting the potential for allergy induced gastritis.

I love how this site explains and describes a comprehensive elimination diet plan. It is one of the rare sites I actually subscribe to. It might be an interesting read if you are looking to see if your issues could be food group related https://autoimmunewellness.com/what-is-aip-the-definitive-guide/ .

I'm glad you are feeling a little better :-) . The stomach and the brain are two things science hasn't quite figured out yet. I encourage you to work with your gastroenterologist, allergist, and a nutritionist if you are not seeing sufficient progress.

Kevin

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"

Medical Disclaimer: While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, no one on this site is representing themselves as a medical professional. Always consult with a medical professional for assistance before modifying their orders or making changes to your lifestyle/health regimen.

Admin
Admin

https://livingwithgastritis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum