Kevin's Progress Updates

Go down

Kevin's Progress Updates

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Hey everyone

Every several months or so, I plan to update this thread with my progress. I think it may help someone to see that healing, while very slow, is possible with gastritis.

I originally messed up my stomach in Fall 2013. So it has been about 3.5 years at the time of me writing this, and I am about 80% healed. I am much better than I used to be, but not exactly where I want to be - as some foods still bother me, just not as bad as they used to.

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to respond when I can!

Thanks
Kevin

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"

Medical Disclaimer: While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, no one on this site is representing themselves as a medical professional. Always consult with a medical professional for assistance before modifying their orders or making changes to your lifestyle/health regimen.

Admin
Admin

https://livingwithgastritis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin's Progress Updates

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi Everyone

It has been awhile - quite some time. Many things have changed, and my stomach has improved but STILL not healed. As long as I avoid trigger foods, I'm fine. But trigger foods are still a killer.

So - I made a personal point to really try all the diagnostic tests I could out there. It was actually very beneficial, and we found some things that MAY have me on the road to recovery !!! Please read on, and consider doing a similar battery of tests.

At a modern, young (honestly, getting someone under 50 makes a HUGE difference...) Gastroenterology practice - consider getting:
1) Complete bloodwork (for celiac especially, and amylase and lipase, full liver panel)
2) Complete abdominal ultrasound (rule out kidney, gall bladder, and pancreas issues)
3) Endoscopy, with biopsies to check for bacteria, lesions, cysts, and tissue quality

I had all of the above, and it was very useful in ruling out more serious issues for me. Unfortunately EVERYTHING came back negative, except some irritation in my upper stomach. The gastroenterologist literally said "I'm sorry, there's no more tests I can give you. Whatever is causing the irritation isn't coming from inside you .... but something YOU ARE INGESTING!!"

That was the lightbulb moment. He then referred me to an Allergist for food allergy testing. After getting a skin scratch test for about 30 different foods that are a part of my diet - I developed a positive reaction to PEANUTS and a couple other foods !!! Which is crazy, because I have had a peanut butter sandwich every day for probably the last decade lol................ Not exaggerating at all.

There is a chance this is a false positive, so we are doing further bloodwork to be sure. But, if I really am mildly allergic to peanuts - it is very possible that a mild, prolonged state of allergic inflammation in my stomach is the cause of all my issues.

I'm personally leaning towards Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS) - which is when you have seasonal allergies from pollen and because some foods look like pollen on a molecular level, your body reacts to those too. More information here https://www.uptodate.com/contents/oral-allergy-syndrome-beyond-the-basics

I have bad seasonal allergies to tree pollen, and everything I tested positive for was in the "related to birch pollen" category - so it is possible. Usually OAS does not trigger symptoms past the throat, but I pulled up some research articles showing inflammation in lower esophagus and stomach in a few cases. The section on "Allergic Eosinophilic Gastroenteropathies" seems like something my experiences could relate to -> https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/708187_2 .

I checked with my gastro, and he said they didnt test the endoscopy biopsies for white blood cells / eosinphills - which my allergist says are often in high concentration in the throat and stomach of people eating something they are allergic to.

All of these tests provided what appears to be valuable info and may have helped me find the real source of my issues. If nothing else, I have at least ruled out more serious cancers and abdominal disorders.

I'm glad I did them, and would recommend anyone else struggling to find a diagnoses to consider both an allergist and gastroenterologist as well.

I will update this page if there are any new developments as I remove those potential allergens from my daily diet.

Thanks
Kevin

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"

Medical Disclaimer: While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, no one on this site is representing themselves as a medical professional. Always consult with a medical professional for assistance before modifying their orders or making changes to your lifestyle/health regimen.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwynn on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi Kevin,

I was one of the people who responded to you on the Amazon thread. I am glad you are doing better and that you have received some new insight to help you heal further.

My husband has a new gastro, and we are hopeful he will be helpful.

He did allergy tests earlier this year which revealed nothing. Well, not totally true. His EBV test came back positive "for current or past infection." He also did 23 and Me which revealed that he carries the gene that could lead to celiac problems. I am confused, then, why the allergist wouldn't have caught some sort of sensitivity.

I am about to order more Pepzin GI. I think I read where you still take it for maintenance?

Gwynn (was Gwynnie on Amazon)

Gwynn

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi Gwynn :-)

Thank you ! Yes it seems that I have allergies to peanut, soy, almond, and hazelnut - and I have been trying to cut those out and I think I have been experiencing progress. Even though these allergies are full blown IgE mediated responses, my body only noticeably reacts in the digestive system. Pretty interesting.

Great :-) Yes sometimes a fresh set of eyes/brain/perspective can be helpful.

Okay, well even a test that reveals nothing does have some value. With each test, you are gaining valuable information (even if it's just to rule things out). EBV is mono, right? Interesting.

I see. Okay, well there are believed to be two types of "gluten problems" people can have. The traditional one is Celiac Disease, which is what your doctor checked for with a blood test. This is the most serious one, and one that can cause long lasting damage. But there is something called "non-celiac gluten sensitivity" - which might be worth looking into. There is debate over the "root cause" of it (some people think it is actually caused by FODMAP sensitivity, versus solely gluten) but it is definitely something that has been documented and researched. Take a look here for more info https://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity/

One thing that I almost did (and would have, had I not found several food allergies) is a strict elimination diet to try and identify food intolerances. Unfortunately, sometimes the body just reacts to foods and these are not easy to diagnose outside of empirical research. The idea with an elimination diet is strip everything out you can for a period, allow your body to return to a happy state, then add items 1 by 1 back in and see which cause problems. I was very impressed with the plan on this site - and would recommend them. I thought their approach was sound and level-headed, and loved the recipes and support (since an elimination diet can be hard). It is not a fix, but a tool to help someone diagnose their issues. Might be worth a look https://autoimmunewellness.com/what-is-aip-the-definitive-guide/

Yep, Pepzin GI has been good to me. I have a bottle on the shelf next time as I type this :-) . Now I use it when my stomach is hurting and I need relief, or if I am having something I KNOW will hurt my stomach (like some medication or very spicy food). I try to take it as little as possible so I can see what is bothering me and document it.

But yes, I have been very happy with Pepzin GI (I must have finished around 20 bottles in the last several years). It is a great healing tool. But the stage I am in is more "identification" as I am healed enough and have gathered enough information on my safe foods to test things a bit. I think of it this way - if I hit my thumb with a hammer, it will hurt. I can take Tylenol to numb the pain. And every time I hit my thumb with a hammer, I can take Tylenol to numb the pain. But the best thing to do is probably just stop using a hammer Very Happy . I'm trying to identify my "hammer(s)", and I want my body sensitive to the discomfort.

The above approach may not be for everyone. It depends on their stage and if there is a "hammer" that can be removed (some things cannot be easily removed like that). But it's something I want to note.

The last thing I want to mention that may be helpful is Promethease. You said he did 23 and Me? You probably have access to your raw genetic data from the test, and can upload it to a site called Promethease https://promethease.com/. It will take your raw genetic data, and run it against thousands of studies and give you a very long report of any matches, for like $12. I uploaded my ancestry.com dna to it, and the report I got was profound. There is a LOT of information, and some of it was pretty useful. It was also very accurate, and I was able to identify the gene variant that were causing several random issues for me - as well as some issues that are hereditary. I recommend scrolling through some sample reports to see what yours could look like. It's pretty cool, and might help you find some more information. I must warn you - it can be pretty impactful seeing your data. For example, you must be prepared to see something like "Because you have gene variant ABC123, Study XYZ says you have a 20x risk of Parkinson's Disease". It can be upsetting if you are not ready for it - so be warned. I found it useful though, and like sharing it.

I hope things go well for you and your husband :-)
Kevin

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum